You Have The Power To Stop Abuse And Neglect

At Martin + Fielding in Oklahoma, we know that you can't be there to watch over your loved one around the clock, which is why you entrusted their care to another. What you can do is know the signs of abuse and the signs of neglect, and keep an eye out for both.

What Are Some Of The Warning Signs?

Abuse and neglect can be physical, emotional, sexual or financial. It might be obvious at times, but it can also be difficult to spot. In some cases, those that run a facility may intentionally lie about or cover up instances of nursing home abuse or neglect. It is important that you take action if you suspect there might be a problem, and you have the right to get an attorney involved.

Indicators of abuse or neglect include:

  • Unexplained bruises, broken bones, sprains and scratches
  • Questionable stories about injuries
  • Untreated bed sores or other injuries
  • Dehydration, malnutrition or general lack of hygiene
  • Dirty or unsafe accommodations
  • Reports that the resident "got out" or "left the facility"
  • Repeated reports of a loved one's refusal to take medication
  • Incidents of drug overdose, substance abuse, over or under medication
  • Restraint marks, such as bruising around the wrists
  • When a caregiver does not want you to be alone with the resident
  • Broken or missing belongings and personal items
  • Caregivers belittling, threatening or using excessive force
  • Any injury to a private area, including infections and venereal diseases
  • Unexplained, large or frequent withdrawals of funds
  • Changes to an estate plan
  • Unpaid bills or sudden change in financial status
  • Multiple receipts/bills for a single service or medical device

Trust Your Instincts. Contact Us For A Free Consultation.

You know your loved one. If you suspect that something is wrong, trust your instincts. We can investigate the situation and help stop the abuse or neglect for your loved one and potentially others.

Call our law office in Oklahoma City at 800-594-9269 to schedule a free consultation with a lawyer. You can also tell us about your loved one by completing our online form.