Martin + Fielding

What to do if your child displays symptoms of cerebral palsy

The birth of a child is typically a joyful event. For some families, however, a birth injury mars this beautiful moment. In many cases where a child has cerebral palsy, it may be weeks or months before the new parents discover the condition. Cerebral palsy symptoms include deficits in muscle tone, motor and speech development and problems balancing. There are many other symptoms, and each case is unique in terms of symptoms and severity. Depending on how severe the case is, it may take as long as three to five years to diagnose cerebral palsy.

What causes cerebral palsy?

When a baby's brain is injured during gestation or the birthing process, cerebral palsy can result. It's essentially brain damage from the birth or pregnancy complications and results in motor impairment. Many cases of CP are associated with prolonged oxygen deprivation.

If you believe your child acquired cerebral palsy as a birth injury, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney right away. He or she can help you work with independent doctors to determine the cause and extent of your child's disability. Once you better understand the cause of the condition, you can then choose how you want to proceed.

Cerebral palsy is a lifelong and often expensive condition

A child with cerebral palsy requires medical interventions, but thankfully, they can live long, productive, and otherwise healthy lives with the right supports in place. Parents might have to reduce their workload outside of the home to be able to provide adequate support for their child.

There will also likely be physical, occupational and speech therapies required to help your child overcome their delays and deficits and reach their fullest potential. It can be difficult to trust doctors again after a birth injury, but it's critical to overcome your aversion so that you provide your child with the best possible quality of life.

How can a personal injury attorney help?

Simply put, an experienced personal injury attorney can help your family access appropriate financial support for the lifelong care your birth injured child will need. All those doctor's visits and therapy sessions can be quite expensive. If your child's cerebral palsy was caused by a birth injury and medical malpractice, an attorney can help your family file a civil suit. He or she can also advocate and negotiate on your behalf with the malpractice insurance company that covers the hospital or doctor from the birth.

Your family has enough stress coping with your child's diagnosis. You shouldn't have to worry about accessing necessary medical interventions or covering your living expenses if one of you needs to step into a caregiver role. If you believe your child has cerebral palsy due to a birth injury, your first step should be to consult with an experienced personal injury or medical malpractice attorney.

consultation will be free, and their advice and guidance could be invaluable to your family!

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Back to top